Apr 15, 2012

Sendake-in

 At the back of the temple grounds, I found this statue. Again probably a Buddha but I do not know which one. In the lot behind the temple they are working a new building. It looks like it might be an apartment house.
 This seems to be the main building of the temple. It was completely closed so there was no way to find out. Also there did not seem to be anyone around.
 This statue appears to be a statue of a warrior king who would protect the building from evil spirits. The row of meditating Buddhas or Bodhisattvas would give him moral support.
 This appeared to be a dragon of some kind with a little house in front. I would guess that the house is a place for offerings, but beyond that I have no idea.
 I really liked this row of bas-relief statues of Buddhas(?), especially the ones that are just cut into the side of an otherwise untouched stone.
This temple had more statues than almost any other that I can remember visiting.

No comments: